











Above three pictures by my little photog, Emerson.


We went out of the way to use the light rail, so it was not absolutely necessary. I don't have a single recollection of using public transportation, so I felt it was finally time for me to experience it. I was pretty pleased! The Phx metro light rail is very new, so I'm hoping that doesn't give me a distorted perception of public transportation as a whole. I imagine we'll be using San Fran & Portland's systems when we visit next month. Emerson has always been excited about the "trains" and enjoyed the ride too. Eisley was mesmerized by the passing blurs of streets and cars. She also loved to people watch and batt her eyes at every stranger that looked her way. We've decided the light rail is the best way to get downtown. No traffic, crazy street rules, or trying to find parking and it's better for mama Earth!
It was really nice to be in an urban setting that is in stark contrast to our little cookie cutter suburb. While I've never lived in the heart of a very big city, I do enjoy the idea of city life. We did get a little tasted of it when we lived in busiest part of Tempe, a larger city in the Phoenix metro area, for about a year. We learned a lot of things about urban living. The biggest part is, if you're going to live in the city with kids, you have to have money. The city is about buying everything: safety, excelling schools, a durable home, etc. While we did love our little apartment, it needed some work that the landlords were not interested in putting in. I also have a high level of anxiety related to crime. Even just the sound of sirens makes my skin crawl and that was on a daily basis! Watching someone get arrested right outside our balcony at 7 a.m. was the end of that journey! At the same time, we're definitely not suburb people. I think, for us, it's the beach or the city- nothing in-between. We'll probably try city life again someday.
This little trip seemed to set the pace for our upcoming plans. We want to make road trips and travel one of our favorite pass-times- essentially become "permatourists." I've always loved playing tourist in a place I've been a dozen times. I touched on how we want to experience the world with our kids a little bit before. Why not start with the home base, Phoenix? What's best is Emerson really seems to love learning about history, (he is his father's son! Have I told you yet that Brian's going to get a bachelors in history?) trying new things, and meeting new people. With Brian and I's fields of study pertaining to culture, I think we lucked out with this one. He's so extroverted too! He got that part from his dad, without a doubt. I can't wait to see how Eisley takes to traveling. I see her being like myself: hesitant at first, but extremely excited once warmed up to the idea of being somewhere new! I can't wait to step foot in the cities that are calling our names and immerse ourselves in their cultures.
Aww I'm so glad I found your new blog! I missed seeing your posts (I'm so not trying to be creepy about this so sorry if it comes off that way lol). I love big cities and I'd love to live in one but like you said with kids you need to have money and being young parents and me still being in school it's just not an option. We lived in Phoenix for a while but our apartment complex was HORRIBLE although the area was nice but in a big city it's always a hit and miss with things like that unless you have a big budget when it comes to rent lol. We're planning on moving back to AZ probably in February but we'll probably be looking towards like Gilbert and Chandler.
ReplyDeleteOk I'm so rambling now, sorry haha! :P
Love, Jazmyn♥
What a fun day! Just read your last "Seabird" post and have to say ditto to all that you said. You are quite brave to break free from the "blogging world." Glad I found you here!
ReplyDelete