Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Day 6: So long for now, Portland.

Day six meant that the end of our trip was drawing near. Even though we knew we'd be back soon, it gave the whole day a feeling of some sort of impending doom. We'd be back in the car for a full days time, have to head back to the grind in a city we aren't exactly in love with... not happy thoughts. Instead of wallowing in those emotions, we let them push us to savor our last Portland experiences. The time we had left went fast, in typical last day of vacation fashion. I didn't have time to snap an abundance of photos... or maybe I forgot to do so because I was enjoying our surroundings so much.

Our day started with more coffee and neighborhood viewing...



With a pitstop at Burnside Skatepark. The boys went to check it out while Eisley and I listened to music in the car. Emerson was mesmerized, as he usually is at skateparks. He ends up a tad angry with us because he wants to skate them. Soon, young grasshopper.



We headed downtown to stop at the DC Vegetarian food cart, which was something Brian was really looking forward to. We sat on a bench near by and people watched. It was neat to see the diverse customers of the equally diverse carts who all seemed to have stopped by for their lunch break.

In case you noticed, yes, I did trim my bangs half way through our trip. With kitchen shears. They were driving me crazy. Please don't try that one at home kids.

After lunch, we walked through DT, stopping into a couple shops. One, of course, was a record store. I think we need to adopt a tradition of always breaking for record stores and snagging at least one little something to add to our collection. We only recently begun collecting vinyl and our small selection is not sufficient. After the record store, we happened upon the North Park Blocks. Children from a school near by, appropriately named The Emerson School were playing on the jungle gym. (I later researched the school and fell in love. We'll be keeping it in mind for later.) Emerson was at their side before we could say go. Eisley wanted to play along with the big kids too, but settled for bouncing on my knee, exploring the grass, and gazing at passerby's puppies!



We ended the day with Voodoo. Again. That pink box was the perfect way to bring a little bit of Portland home with us. We bid the city farewell and promised we'd be back to help "Keep Portland Weird" soon. I'll talk more about our feelings about Portland and what the future looks like another time :)

2 comments:

  1. Keep it weird, girl! I'm so glad you had fun up there! Goodbye's are always hard but the adventure is well worth it. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello! so lovely and interesting blog. i already feel addicted from pollen&salt :)

    check mine: martasrarta.pl

    ReplyDelete