
Obsessing over: The idea of retreating into the woods for awhile. I long for a time where I let the Thoreau in me out. I've been daydreaming of a small cabin in the forest where I can spend my days exploring with my husband and children. We'll learn about the earth, its plants and animals, maybe even live off the land a bit. By night we'll cozy up in our small space, play games, make music, and read books. No television or internet, just the warmth of company. I feel a trip to Northern Arizona coming on.
Reading: Let's pause for a moment and talk about what BRIAN is reading. He just finished the Hunger Games series! The books have some heavy teen fangirl stigma around them, but Brian read and enjoyed them with no shame. Swoon! He's always had a taste for dystopian literature. One of his favorite books, if not his number one, is 1984. I thought those aspects of the books would catch his attention. He ended up reading them just as fast as I did. I love this man! I love when we have the opportunity to further our connection with something new. Even if it's as simple as finding a new book/series to chat about together. And chat, we have.
Watching: I just added a massive amount of documentaries to my Netflix queue and can't wait to tick them off the list, one by one. Most have to do with sustainability, but there are some medical and ecological ones peppered in. I guess you could argue they all have some sustainability involvement. I like our planet, what can I say? Can I keep it?
Working on: Our new home! If you follow me elsewhere, you'll know that we moved! Again! We've moved around quite a bit over the years. We're currently settling into our home for the next year. We've named it Fort Limbo. We still have plenty of boxes that need to be put away. Our room is essentially a disaster zone and I should probably be wearing a hardhat when I go to sleep. That bright yellow wall you're seeing up there? Not sure I'm feeling it. It is bright! It was supposed to be more of a vintage mustard tone. That's what I get for buying paint at Walmart! Fairly certain I will be repainting it in attempt to achieve a better tone... or just scrap it and go with a shade of blue. I'd like to do some sort of gallery wall in our dining area, I have a huge wall art piece planned for above our couch, and I'm trying to sort out the puzzles that are our bedrooms. I'm finding the ikea furniture that we currently own is not suitable for the aesthetic I have in mind. We're going to have to scrap the idea for the time being and think of something that works better with what we have. Conundrum! Once we move to Portland, I have a feeling that we'll be overhauling our furniture.
Anticipating: The start of the school year. It's still a couple months out, which feels so odd. About a month after Summer has begun, I start itching to get back into the school routine. Emerson will also be starting his first year of preschool! Technically, he could wait another year to start, but he is extremely eager to learn, make friends, and not be cooped up with Mom every day. We're 90% sure he'll end up with two years in preschool, as I did. I'm not really fond of the idea of entering him in Kindergarten early, despite him meeting the standards of *determined-by-the-system* competence. He'll be preschool at an amazing child study lab. We live close, the price was right, and most importantly, the environment seems perfect for Emerson. Researching preschools in the Phoenix area was a headache. It was difficult to find one up to par and I was not afraid to be stingy when it comes to his education. Learning that the lab still had spots open for Fall was such a relief! The fact that the teachers and student-teachers learn about and have access to the same information that I do gives me an extra confidence boost. They also implement a weekly music program, which Emerson will eat up. His excitement grows every day.
Listening to: Peter & The Wolf has been on nonstop at our home. A perfect mellow to combat the chaos of moving. A lot of the lyrics sit well with the mood I've been in lately too. The demo is my favorite.
Eating & drinking: According to Emerson, we should all eat pizza, all day, every day. "Emerson, what do you want for dinner?" "Pizza." "That's all you ever want to eat! What else do you like to eat?" "Pizza... pizza and pizza. Pizza pizza." This kid would eat pizza topped with pizza if he could.
Wishing: My children knew how to swim so we could spend daylight at the pool. Phoenix summers are brutal. It would offer some relief and something to do! I'd love to soak up some vitamin D while watching them frolic in the water.
No comments:
Post a Comment