Friday, November 9, 2012

Part 2 >> Digital California.

You didn't think I'd let you get away without some digital photos, did you?

Our favorite breakfast joint in Oceanside. You'll always find a good crowd, courteous employees, an amazing homestyle meal, and the perfect touch of vintage. We've been going since our first family trip to Oceanside in early 2009. I'd say we're probably part of a special group of out-of-state regulars at 101. I'm a firm believer that the most enjoyable meals are those at small diners and cafés. It's a must try if you're on the coast of San Diego County. My favorite dish is the toast and gravy. The kids love the Mickey pancakes. If you're daring, you might like their roadkill scramble.


Carlsbad Danish is the bakery that baked our wedding cake & cupcakes. They offer a wide variety of sweets & breads. We were sad to see they had already packed away their cute patio when we arrived, so went for plan b- enjoying our treats at a park across from the beach. We ended up a little lost and had to walk a bit in the heat, then sat in the blaring sun, but it was still a great way to celebrate!



Our walk to Ruby's in the evening aligned with the sunset. The pier is one of my favorite places to watch the sun go down. People watching here is equally interesting. It's littered with tourists, fisherman casting their lines down below, Marines young and old, and plenty of other O-side residents. After dinner, we stopped at the pier baitshop. We usually don't buy souvenirs when we travel, but I couldn't resist letting the kids pick something this time. Emerson picked a starfish and Eisley picked an engraved shell. The girl wouldn't put it down, even when we were trying to tuck her into bed! I guess it was a good pick.



Two of us. I look at this picture and see how different it is from the first ones we took together. There's no doubt that we look older. Our eyes have begun to crinkle ever so slightly in the corners, but we're still wide-eyed. Starry-eyed even. I'm not complaining.



It's always strange to return to the spot where we got married at Harbor Beach. I think everyone would agree that your wedding day is a whirlwind, so it's a surreal experience. It gives me that "did that really all happen?" feeling as my mind flows from memory to memory. Knowing that it really did happen pulls me back to the same feeling of bliss. I snapped my new favorite photograph of Brian here. It captures the way I see him perfectly. His warm eyes, that reflect his warm personality, have always been one of my favorite things.



As we played on the beach for our last couple hours in Oceanside, we clung to to our last bits of SoCal goodness. I sat and watched the kids, wrapped in their towels, sitting side by side, gazing out at the water. I've often wondered if they experience the feelings I have when I do the same. With the look in their eyes, I'd imagine that they do, but magnified by their youth. That feeling of infiniteness. Somehow it makes you feel big and important, while still making you feel small in the scope of things. Simon and Garfunkel's "bookends" played in my mind. The lyrics seemed a perfect expression of the moment. Our time in Oceanside was also sort of a last hurrah for Summer. It was a deep breath before plunging into October, a very busy month for us, and the rest of the holiday season. It left me refreshed, ready, and rarin' to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment